Editors: Luke Heemsbergen (firstname.lastname@example.org), Emiliano Treré (TrereE@cardiff.ac.uk) & Gabriel Pereira (email@example.com)
Check the full CfP here: tinyurl.com/1kcs2tzb
What are the ways in which algorithms are being deployed tactically to provocative ends? And, just as importantly, are these sustainable as activist or political practice?
This issue will consider these trends and surrounding issues in order to introduce new ways of thinking about algorithmic politics in tactical and discrete terms. It hopes to open critical data and algorithm studies in ways that might reconfigure how critical scholarship approaches the algorithm in tactical terms as networked media tools that are antagonistic. We ask for submissions that consider the design of algorithms not as finished solutions that structure the world, but as something troubling – in a meaningful and helpful way – that might better inform our understanding of the capacities and limits of algorithmic life.
We are particularly looking forward to critical engagements with algorithmic practice, which may include feminist theory, de/post-colonial theory, critical race theory, queer theory, indigenous theory, perspectives from the Global South, and others.
The issue looks to submissions including but not limited to…
- Agonistic and antagonistic algorithm design
– Algorithms as culture (and critical responses to algorithmic culture) – Algorithmic practice of the everyday
– Activist algorithmic science and practice
- Adversarial algorithmic externalities
– Standpoint data justice
- Tactical algorithmic media
– Forms of algorithmic resistance and antagonistic algorithm design in the Global South
– Applied evolutionary computation
– Feminist and antirracist algorithmic theory and practice
– Disaffected technologies and technologists
– Artistic forms of response to algorithmic culture
– Antagonism of digital, algorithmic, and tech labourers
- 28 February 2021: Abstracts (400-500 words) due for submission to guest editors
- 21 March 2021: Invitation to submit full papers sent to selected authors, with feedback on abstracts as applicable
- 31 July 2021: Full papers sent by authors for Peer Review
- 15 October 2021: Peer review returned to authors
- (Up to) 30 Jan 2021: Final papers due for those papers that have passed/responded to review.
- May 2022: Special Issue comes out on MIA