Below you will find a CfP for the international Journal puntOorg with focus on Media and Disability.
Deadline for abstract submission: 31 January 2023 – extended to 22 February 2023
Deadline for full paper submission: 30 June 2023
Complete call for papers at: https://www.puntoorginternationaljournal.org/index.php/PIJ/announcement/view/13
Assistive technologies, ICTs, AI and data-driven tools have been presented as tools that can radically improve the lives of disabled people, providing access, inclusion and agency. Nevertheless, scholars in disability studies are highlighting how narratives of technological “fix” risk concealing the social, political and material dimension of disability. Media, in fact, are the very sites where disability is defined and constructed, both for their representations of disability and for the images of the user and its “ability” embedded into their operations. Media shape what it means to be “disabled” or “able-bodied” in contemporary society, affecting scholarships well beyond media studies. Issues of inclusion and accessibility have now become a main concern of several disciplines, from sociology to law and organizational studies, design, engineering, computer science and others. Moreover, Covid-19 pandemics has shed light on both the possibilities and limits of digital platforms as accessibility tools and has emphasized the role of media in communication and management of sickness and disability, making research on this topic ever-more urgent. We ask for contributions which explore the topic of media and disability in its multiple configurations, accounting for social, material, theoretical, aesthetical, experiential, historical, political and institutional perspectives. We welcome papers that address, but are not limited to, the following topics:
- media operations in assistance of disability
- media representations of disability
- histories and archaeologies of disability and media technologies
- media and organizational inclusion of disabled people
- design of assistive technologies
- AI, robotics, data technologies, medical devices in relation to disability
- sickness, disability and media
- marketing and economies of assistive technologies
- normative aspects of assistive technologies
- theoretical and epistemological perspectives on media and disability
- methodological perspectives for the study of media and disability
- ethnographies and autoethnographies with assistive technologies
- ethical and political issues related to assistive technologies
- aesthetics of disability in media and the arts
Authors are invited to submit by February 22nd, 2023, by sending an email to (domenico.napolitano-ssm /at/ unina.it):
§ title and abstract of maximum 1000 words (.doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, .rtf). Abstracts must be submitted in English.
§ Contact details (full name, e-mail, post address and affiliation)
Acceptance of abstract by February 28th 2023. If the abstract is accepted, the Authors should submit the FULL article by June 30th, 2023 via the journal submission platform. The maximum length of a paper is 60.000 digits (spaces included), including references, tables and figures. The articles will be double-blind peer-reviewed. No payment from the author will be required. Before submitting articles, authors are invited to read and adhere to the guidelines for PIJ authors (https://www.puntoorginternationaljournal.org/index.php/PIJ/about/submissions).
Neta Alexander, Colgate University of New York
David Friedrich, University of Western Australia
Mara Mills, New York University
Domenico Napolitano, Scuola Superiore Meridionale of Naples
For further information and details please do not hesitate to contact Domenico Napolitano at (domenico.napolitano-ssm /at/ unina.it).