Media Peripheries is a new journal of media and communication studies based in Aotearoa New Zealand. Continuing on the legacy of MEDIANZ, Media Peripheries aims to be a forum for academic debates that are regional in focus yet global in scope. For its inaugural issue,/Media Peripheries/invites contributions that explore some of the issues and themes that are at the core of the journal’s mission. The journal is particularly interested in research that focuses on the peripheries of the global media system both in geographical and cultural terms. The journal conceives the broad notion of periphery as referring to both the specific location of Aotearoa as situated at the margins of the Global North as well as topics and voices that are under researched within media and communication studies.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- The relationship between Aotearoa New Zealand, Australia and/or
Pacific rim screen industries and cultures
- The interaction both within regional media industries and between
regional and global media systems.
- Geographies of New Zealand and Pasifika media
- Indigenous media and communication practices
- New history of New Zealand and Pasifika media and communication
- Economic, government and regulatory influences on the Aotearoa New
Zealand media industries
- Gender and sexuality in New Zealand and Pasifika media cultures
- Critiques of labour circulation and practices in the New Zealand and
Pasifika media industries
- New interpretations of New Zealand and Pasifika media texts, genres,
cycles and aesthetics
- Representations of the antipodean and Pacific imaginaries
- Reception studies of New Zealand and Pasifika media locally and/or
- ICT, emerging technologies and platforms in Aotearoa New Zealand,
Australia and/or Pacific rim
Please include in your submission https://mediaperipheries.otago.ac.nz/mediaperipheries/about/submissions an abstract of the contribution as well as name, institutional affiliation, full contact details, and a short biographical note. Full articles or video essays will be due by September 30th 2022 and should be maximum 8000 words in length. Please note there are no article processing charges or fees associated with publication.
Please direct any enquiries or questions about the special issue to (medianz.journal /at/ otago.ac.nz) or refer to our website https://mediaperipheries.otago.ac.nz/