A temporary 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Social sciences, as Assistant Professor (universitetslektor) in Communication, with a particular focus on the global South and in the context of global migration. The position is at the Department of Global Development and Planning, Campus Kristiansand, for a limited duration of 12 months.
The desired start is January 2024
The Faculty of Social Sciences has four departments, the Department of Global Development and Planning, the Department of Information Systems, the Department of Political Science and the Department of Sociology and Social Work.
The Department of Global Development and Planning offers a BA in Planning and Communication, BA in Global Development Studies, and an MA in Global Development, Crisis and Change, and an MA in Planning, Place and Process. We also have a PhD program in Global Development and Planning (hosted at the Faculty of Social Sciences) and an active research environment, divided into research groups.
The position will require student supervision and teaching in topics related to communication and sustainability at the bachelor and master level (see themes below), particularly in relation to the global South and in the context of global migration.
The position also includes independent research and coordination to support seminars, publications, and other public outreach initiatives related to communication, democracy, active citizenship, and (socio-environmental) sustainability, particularly in relation to the global South. These include Democracy@UiA (see also https://democracy.uia.no/), and the Engaging Sustainability webinar series.
The criteria of employment are pursuant to the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts.
- Master’s degree or higher in Communication, or related fields with a demonstrated cross-cultural communication-oriented focus (such as in development studies, international journalism).
- Experience teaching at the bachelor’s and master’s level in Communication and related fields, covering topics like, political and cultural communication, impacts of news and journalism in society, new media forms and practices, freedom of speech, journalism practices, media power, democracy, active citizenship.
- Experience supervising BA student theses on related topics.
- Fluent in English, both written and oral.
The working language at the University of Agder is Norwegian. However, the required teaching for this position will be in English, delivered to both Norwegian and international students.
- Experience supervising and assisting students in media-oriented projects (e.g. student film production and related tasks)
- Past work experience in communication-related fields such as journalism.
- Experience supporting scientific and media-oriented communications such as edited blogs and webinars
- Successful recent publications in related fields
- Experience working internationally, across cultures, and across disciplines is a clear advantage.
Candidates working towards a PhD are especially encouraged to apply.