The University of Stavanger invites applicants for a position as Associate Professor in Multi-camera production at the Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Media- and Social Sciences.
The subject area for the position is Multi-camera production/television production.
We are primarily seeking an Associate Professor. The hired person will primarily teach and supervise students at the bachelor’s, master’s and PhD level within the subject area, conduct research and disseminate research results / engage in artistic development work within relevant research areas at the department. Assistant Professor will primarly teach and supervise students at bachelor’s level.
Developing and using digital and diverse learning methods, innovation, and value creation based on research and academic/artistic development are a part of the position, as well as developing an active collaboration with the professional industry.
You will mainly work in the media department of the institute for media and social sciences. You will mainly teach the students of the bachelor for television and multimedia production, and you might also contribute within the MA in documentary production, as well as collaborate with the bachelor in journalism. Click here to read more about our program.
The general job description for Associate Professors/Assistant Professors at UiS gives a more detailed account of relevant duties.
We are seeking an Associate Professor with artistic qualifications equivalent to a PhD level within the field of multi-camera production. It i highly desired that you have technical and practical knowledge in the different functions of television and multi-camera productions such as camera operator, camera control, lighting, script, vision mixer, etc.
You will be asked to organize productions internally at the department, as well as collaborate with others to organize larger and external productions. Candidates with a producer’s experience, and the ability to plan and understand a big production as a whole will be particularly attractive.
The following will be emphasized:
- An in-depth practical and theoretical knowledge of the technical infrastructure and equipment used in modern multicamera productions. Eligible candidates must have the necessary knowledge and be able to convey it practically to the students.
- A good and wide knowledge of the methods and assignments used in the different functions of multicamera productions.
- A good knowledge and understanding of storytelling in the audiovisual media.
- Competence in the visual arts (lighting, composition, etc.)
- Teaching experience in the position’s subject area
- Artistic research results in the position’s subject area
You must be able to document active, ongoing artistic development work at a high academic level and have the potential for future high-level artistic work in the subject area.
It is expected that you have a reflective and conscientious attitude towards your own teaching and supervision. You must be able to document pedagogical and didactic skills relating to higher education, and basic skills in planning, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision. If you do not meet the competence requirement you must complete a university pedagogy course within a period of two years of the appointment start date. The course will be provided by the university.
Norwegian is the language mainly used at UiS. The working and teaching languages are Norwegian and English. It is expected that you can teach and supervise in Norwegian (equivalent to level B2), or another Scandinavian language, within a period of three years from the appointment date. If required, you will be offered a Norwegian course paid for by the university.
If no eligible applicants apply for the position of Associate Professor, we may offer employment as an Assistant Professor. The following are required in order to be employed as an Assistant Professor:
- higher degree exams in the field of study and relevant research qualifications beyond Master’s degree or second degree level and/or relevant practice, or
- documented recognised artistic activities or development work of a certain scope and education at the highest level in the field of art from Norway, or similarly documented knowledge, and
- educational and didactic competence related to higher education. If you fail to meet these competency requirements, you must complete a university pedagogy course within two years following appointment. This course is offered by the university.
The following attributes are also desirable
- ability to involve and engage students in teaching where the course’s objectives, content and assessment situations are closely interlinked
- experience and/or interest in the development of varied learning methods and digital tools in teaching
- artistic development work/ scientific work published in recognised publications, and references indicating progression in research and artistic development work
- ability to initiate, obtain external funding for, lead and carry out research and development projects
- experience of partnerships with businesses relevant to the subject area
- contributed to the use ofnew knowledge in society and that you can refer to results from innovation and the commercialization of research/artistic development wo
- ability to build and preserve professional networks – regionally, nationally and internationally
- ability to manage heavy workload, inquisitiveness and motivation to contribute to the development of academic and interdisciplinary collaboration at the university
- good teamwork and communication skills, and ability to contribute to a constructive working environment
- varied duties in a large, exciting and socially important organisation
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organisational structure.
- good development opportunities, Associate Professor is encouraged for further qualification with a view to promotion to Professor
- colleague-based guidance programme during your first year of teaching at UiS, NyTi.
- salary as Associate Professorin accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.510, code 1011, NOK 600.000-700.000 gross per year. Salary as Assistant Professor in accordance with code 1009, NOK 520.000 – 580.000 gross per year. A higher salary may be considered in special cases. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits
- favourable membership terms at a gym and at the company sports club, SiS sportssenter
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organisation which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- Hjem-jobb-hjem, discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation programme
- language courses: Look up “language courses” under employment conditions
University of Stavanger values independence, involvement and innovation. Diversity is respected and considered a resource in our work and learning environment. Universal design characterises physical and digital learning environments, and we strive to provide reasonable adjustments for employees with disabilities.
You are encouraged to apply regardless of gender, disability or cultural background.
More information on the position can be obtained from Head of Department Oluf Langhelle, tel: 51 83 15 08, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Nadine Zoghbi, tel: 51 83 16 65, e-mail: email@example.com.
Information about the appointment procedure can be obtained from HR executive officer Annette Falch Lothe, tel: 51 83 13 61, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for the position online via the “Apply for the position” link on this page. Your application letter, relevant education and work experience as well as language skills must be registered here. In the application letter, you must state your competence and motivation for the position.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application:
- CV with a full summary of your education and experience
- a pedagogical portfolio with a professionally based description and discussion of your teaching and educational competence as well as relevant documentation that supports this, see guidelines for assessment of educational competence
- complete list of artistic/academic publications with information on where they are published
- up to 10 artistic/academic publications which are pivotal to your artistic/research output. There is an advantage if these works are accompanied by short texts that describe how the applicant has contributed to the works’ artistic development and creation.
- transcripts and certificates, and other documentation that you consider relevant
Applications are evaluated based on the information available in Jobbnorge on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants, in accordance with Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act. If your request is not granted, you will be notified.
UiS only considers applications and attachments registered in Jobbnorge.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to UiS.
The university’s guidelines for appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts, sections 2 and 3.3, provide further discussion of criteria for employment as Associate Professor.
Your qualifications for the position, based on documentation registered in Jobbnorge, will be assessed by an expert committee. You will receive the committee’s statement as soon as it is available.
If you do not satisfy key parts of the qualification requirements, you may have your application rejected before applications are submitted to the expert committee for assessment.
Based on the expert committee’s statement, relevant applicants will be invited to an interview and teaching demonstration before any recommendations are made. References will also be obtained for relevant candidates. More about the hiring process on our website.
The workplace of this position is Stavanger. It is expected that the candidate who is hired is an active contributor at the media department of the institute and is present and available on a daily basis.
The position has been announced in both Norwegian and English. In the case of differences of opinion between the texts, the Norwegian text shall be decisive.