The School of Education and Communication is one of four schools within Jönköping University. We offer education and research in media and communication studies, international work, human resources and teaching. We have extensive activities towards professional training and skills development. Through working with us you will experience a creative environment with excellent opportunities for influence and personal development.
The subject of media and communication at JU is profiled towards sustainable communication. The goal with the research is to develop knowledge about how communication in different forms – in journalism, organizations, politics, etc. – can contribute to fulfil the UN’s seventeen sustainability goals, thus a sustainable society. The research environment is interested in all the three dimensions of sustainability – environmental, social and economic – and how communication in different forms contributes to balance these. Within this research profile, is the research program Sustainable communication, whose aim is to contribute knowledge about how communication (especially mediated communication) contributes to a sustainable society.
Description of work tasks
As a professor, your main tasks are to work with research and the development of the research environment in media and communication, by cooperating within JU, as well as regionally, nationally and internationally. You are expected to supervise doctoral students and supervise and examine first and second cycle theses. You will teach mainly in the bachelor’s program in media and communication, the master’s program Sustainable Communication, and the doctoral education at the School of Education and Communication. The work tasks also include educational development within media and communication, administration, as well as representation of the subject in the Research board of the School of Education and Communication, and its Extended management council.
We are looking for candidates with a PhD degree in Media and Communication or an equivalent area of expertise. You should demonstrate a research profile showing clear progression following your dissertation work in terms of breadth and depth within the subject area – also work that is of a good international standard. The candidate is academically skillful and shows respect to independent research initiatives; you have been the leader of a research team, you have the ability to plan and lead research and the ability to communicate research to the surrounding society. You have have a documented ability to obtain externaI funding for major research and development projects in competition.
Furthermore, you should:
- demonstrate teaching expertise through pedagogic development work and/or course development;
- have taken courses in the supervision of doctoral students or acquired equivalent knowledge in some other way;
- demonstrate documented and substantial experience of having acted as a principal supervisor at third-cycle level. This period of supervision should encompass a significant extent of the doctoral programme of normally two doctoral students. It should be demonstrated in some other way that the candidate has acquired equivalent knowledge if there is no such experience;
- demonstrate a sound capacity for third-stream activities – nationally and internationally;
- demonstrate a sound ability to plan, organize and priorities the work in an effective way adapted to the purpose and also have the ability to handle resources in a way that reflects the priorities of the operations and activities;
- demonstrate the ability to lead activities and staff, make decisions, assume responsibility and also motivate and provide others with the preconditions required to effectively achieve common objectives.
It is meritorious if you have a documented interest of how communication (especially mediated communication) contributes to a sustainable society. Since Jönköping University and its School of Education and communication attract colleagues and students from all corners of the World it is meritorious if you are proficient in communicating effectively both in English and in Swedish.
Focus will be placed on the person’s aptness to the organization.
For full eligibility requirements for a position as Full Professor see “Appointment Procedure at Jönköping University”
The professorship is a permanent full-time position. The employment begins January 1, 2023, or as agreed upon. All academic positions, however, have an initial six-month probationary period before a position becomes legally permanent per contract.
Working conditions for all employees are decided jointly between Unions and University management.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
Welcome with your application, no later than 2022-05-31.
Application should include all of the following – files in PDF-format are preferred:
- A cover letter in which you explain why you have applied for this particular position
- A full Curriculum Vitae
- A certified diploma of your doctoral degree
- Certified evidence of completed training on how to teach and supervise research in higher education (or its equivalent)
- A formal and complete list of your merits
- Your most important studies, published in peer-reviewed journals and relevant to the applied-for position, should be submitted in full text. Note that no more than 5 texts may be submitted
- A complete list of publications
- A brief outline of potential research projects relevant to the research team with which you intend to work
- Also, provide the names and contact details of three independent referees whom the university may contact and who have also agreed to act as your referees
- In addition, propose the level of salary which you intend to negotiate for
Jönköping University is a modern institution, characterised by internationalisation and an entrepreneurial spirit. We attract highly qualified, inventive and enterprising people from all around the world. We develop new knowledge and share our expertise through solid collaborations with industry and business, the public sector and other higher education institutions. We offer an equal and inclusive workplace and we welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds. For more information, visit www.ju.se