There is a vacant PhD position at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years, of which 25% will be dedicated to teaching, supervision and administrative tasks at the Department.
About the project/work tasks:
This is an open call, and we invite you to relate to one or more of our four relevant research groups:
- Media Aesthetics: Research on the expressive dimensions of a range of media – film, video, photography, graphic novels, television, games – and on fundamental issues in aesthetic mediation and visual culture.
- Journalism Studies Group: A broad approach to the study of news media and journalism dynamics in digital society.
- Research Group for Rhetoric, Democracy and Public Culture: Research on communication as a tool for argumentation, persuasion, and for the creation and expressions of identity, and identification – as individuals, in organizations and in society.
- Bergen Media Use Research Group: Research on how people use media – as audiences, users and citizens, and how they relate to each other and to society through media.
For more information about the research groups and the Department, see the website of the department: https://www.uib.no/infomedia. Do feel free to contact the leader of relevant research group(s).
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree in Media Studies or in an equivalent area
- The degree must be completed by the application deadline
- The requirements are generally a grade B or better on the Master thesis and for the master’s degree in total
- As an applicant you should be able to work independently, have a considerable work capacity as well as an enthusiasm for research.
- Demonstrate good collaborative skills
The teaching language is usually Norwegian, but some of teaching is given in English.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the department for an interview.
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises required duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a recruitment position.
As a PhD research fellow, you will take part in the PhD programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences, UiB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the PhD degree. To be eligible for admission you must normally have an educational background corresponding to a master’s degree with a scope of 120 ECTS credits, which builds on a bachelor’s degree with a scope of 180 ECTS credits (normally 2 + 3 years), or an integrated master’s degree with a scope of 300 ECTS credits (5 years). Master’s degrees should normally include an independent work of a minimum of 30 ECTS credits. It is expected that the topic of the master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 54 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 501 200 per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
- If you have a master’s degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master’s degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. Admittance to the PhD programme will be based on the research proposal.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Closing date: September 1 2022. The application has to be marked: 22/9351
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Professor Knut Helland – firstname.lastname@example.org
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to Senior Executive Officer HR Pernille Hole – email@example.com
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Questions about the programme may be directed to Adviser-PhD: Hanne Gravermoen – firstname.lastname@example.org
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.