We are now seeking a Professor of Practice in the field of Journalism for fixed term employment between 2 August 2021 and 30 June 2022.
The position is located in the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences at Tampere University. The Communication Sciences Unit conducts research that delves into our increasingly digital media landscape and the role of communication technologies in reshaping not only our thoughts and sensibilities but also our relations with others. Our three research centres (COMET, TRIM and T7) create new knowledge of the impact of publicity, gamification and theatre on our society and culture. Students admitted to our multidisciplinary degree programme in communications acquire a broad base of knowledge and go on to pursue careers in journalism, media research, information research and speech communication. Our degree programme in theatre arts brings together artistic, professional and societal perspectives.
The purpose of the position is to integrate practical working life with university teaching and research. The position places special emphasis on practical knowledge of the field of journalism and is intended for a journalist who is accomplished in his or her own field. The successful candidate will be expected to share his or her experience and make a significant contribution to the development of teaching and research in journalism.
The duties will include:
- teaching journalism on the different levels of journalist education by holding lectures, workshops and small-scale seminars
- developing the specialist field of journalism and its teaching on the basis of a separate curriculum and a work plan
- participating in the operations and continuing education of the unit’s research community.
The Professor of Practice will be subject to the annualised hours scheme according to a confirmed work plan. The hours of work for staff under this scheme work is 1,612 hours per year. Depending on other duties, the number of classroom teaching hours will be 160–240 hours per year.
- Practical expertise in the field as demonstrated through strong journalistic accomplishments
- The ability to teach journalistic operations. Teaching languages are Finnish and/or English
- The necessary cooperation and interpersonal skills
We appreciate a visionary view of the future of journalism and the ability to analyze one’s own and others’ expertise and integrate the findings into teaching.
We are hoping to receive applications from experienced journalists who have practised journalism in different roles. The successful candidate may have expertise in any of the broad range of areas relating to journalism, for example
- internationalizing, technologizing environment of journalism (datafication, artificial intelligence etc.)
- evolving and emerging genres of journalism (investigative journalism, data journalism, etc.)
- new and changing working conditions in journalism (entrepreneurship, remote working, etc.)
The position does not require a doctorate, scientific qualifications or other scientific accomplishments usually required from professors.
The selection will be made based on the application documents. The work plan will be emphasised in the selection.
We offer the successful candidate an opportunity to work and build networks in an environment which combines in a unique way our high-quality societally oriented journalism research and teaching in an editorial environment utilizing multimedia channels with talented and motivated students. The degree programme in journalism at Tampere University is the leading actor in Finland and is also internationally recognized.
The appointment will be for a fixed term from 2 August 2021 to 30 June 2022. The position has a contracted salary with a starting level of approx. 6500e. Please state your salary request in your application.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, such as occupational health care, flexible working possibilities (remote-/contact teaching), excellent sports facilities on campus and several restaurants and cafés on campus with staff discounts. Please read more about working at Tampere University.
How to apply
Please submit your application and the required attachments through our online recruitment system (link below).
The closing date for applications is 26 April 2021 at 23.59 EEST, UTC +2. Please attach your documents in PDF format.
The following documents must be attached to the application:
1. A work plan proposal for the professorship term. In the proposal, it is possible to tell tentatively
- about forms of teaching you would be using (eg lectures, workshops, seminars, group work, etc.)
- how you would organize teaching and other activities during the working year (teaching is divided into four periods)
- possible journalistic or academic publications (eg story, book, research article).
2. A motivational letter, including a review of your accomplishments and activities that are relevant for the position.
3. A CV detailing information about your degrees and work experience.
For more information
Enquiries concerning the contents of the position, job description and the work plan: Head of Unit (Communications) Iiris Ruoho, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 40 190 4150
Inquiries concerning recruitment practices: HR Specialist Katri Haapamäki, email@example.com, +358 50 574 5749