There is a vacancy for a 50 % Research Assistant position at MediaFutures: Research Centre for Responsible Media Technology & Innovation, the Department of Information Science and Media Studies, University of Bergen. The position is a fixed-term period of up to 2 years.
Research assistant is a recruitment position where the main task is to be a supporting entity to the academic staff in their instructional and research endeavors. The position will provide the opportunity to gain insight into scientific work and methodology. Total employment cannot exceed two years.
MediaFutures is a new centre for research-based innovation at the Department for information science and media studies, University of Bergen, and will be located at Media City Bergen. The centre is a part of the Norwegian Research Council’s Research-based Innovation scheme. MediaFutures will in cooperation with industry partners from news media and media technology research topics like media experiences, recommender technology, content production and analysis, content interaction and availability, and Norwegian language technology. The goal is to develop responsible technological solutions to societal challenges like AI, fake news, echo chambers and political polarization. The results will be new digital tools, analytical methods, and content types for the future of media. The centre will also perform research training within media technology and innovation. This will create outputs such as new patents, prototypes, research articles and software, as well and innovative start-up companies.
Read more about the centre at https://mediafutures.no.
The Research Assistant will support the Centre Director in scientific, technical and admin tasks and reports to the Centre Director. Work tasks include:
- Contribute to research and innovation projects and proposals where the director of MediaFutures is involved in, e.g., with programming tasks, data collection tasks, and setting up research infrastructure.
- Other admin and support tasks on demand.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant should as a minimum be a bachelor’s student in information science, computer science or relevant disciplines.
- The position requires excellent ICT competences
- The position requires programming and software development skills.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English and Norwegian
- Structured and solution-oriented team player who thrives in a work environment with expectations of high levels of performance.
- Knowledge of the centre’s activities, media and/or technology industry is a benefit.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- A 50 % position
- Salary at pay grade 32 – 51 upon appointment (Code 17.515/1018, 1019[CT1] or 1020) on the government salary scale. Pay grade depends on highest completed degree.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Training and good welfare benefits
- Primary workplace is Media City Bergen
Application with CV, copies of diplomas, certificates of education and other relevant documents with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge (by the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.)
Closing date: November 15th, 2021. The application has to be marked: 2021/16834
Prior to hiring, potential candidates will be interviewed.
Additional information about the position can be obtained by contacting Centre Director Christoph Trattner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to HR Adviser, Bodil Hægland, email@example.com.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.