The Department of Geography, Media and Communication at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is accepting applications for a senior lectureship in Media and Communication Studies. The department comprises Media and Communication Studies, Human Geography, Geography, and Tourism Studies. Our visitors often remark on our excellent work climate and world-class fika. In combination with top-quality research, this separates us from the crowd.
Media and Communication Studies boasts an inviting learning and research environment. Interdisciplinary cooperation and global perspectives are essential to our work. The subject offers several undergraduate programmes, as well as a master’s programme. Undergraduate education is primarily conducted in our two major degree programmes, Public Relations and Media and Communication. The latter features two tracks: Visual Communication and Design, and Digital Media and Analysis (focused on theoretical and practical analysis of media content and use in digital environments, such as mobile and social media).
Research in Media and Communication Studies is conducted in two profiled research environments at the department: Geomedia https://www.kau.se/en/geomedia and the research centre NODE (The Ander Centre for Research on News and Opinion in the Digital Era) https://www.kau.se/media/node. More information about the university can be found at https://www.kau.se/en and more information about the subject can be found at https://www.kau.se/en/media-and-communication-studies.
Duties will primarily consist of teaching in degree programmes, freestanding courses and, occasionally, commissioned education. Duties also include supervision, examinations, course coordination and course development as well as active involvement in furthering the subject and department with regard to teaching and community collaboration. The Local Working Time Agreement stipulates that 20% of a senior lectureship is earmarked for professional development, including research. This percentage can be extended with external funding.
Why choose Karlstad University?
Karlstad University’s ambition to keep moving forward is evident in everything we do and we welcome new ideas and drive. We provide reputable education and research, characterised by close ties to the wider community. Our organisation promotes internationalisation and you will have the opportunity to interact with colleagues, students and visitors from all over the world. The university works systematically to promote socially, financially and environmentally sustainable development. A position at Karlstad University comes with many benefits, such as lunch workouts at a gym located on the university premises. Find out more about the benefits we offer here: https://www.kau.se/en/work-us/work/benefits. If you are looking for an exciting, young and forward-thinking academic environment, Karlstad University is the right place for you!
To be eligible for a senior lectureship, applicants are required to hold a PhD in Media and Communication Studies or an academically adjacent subject, have completed a course in higher education pedagogy or acquired equivalent skills in some other way, and have demonstrated teaching expertise. Candidates who have not completed training in higher education pedagogy may still be hired, provided that they use the time allotted to continual professional development to complete the required training within two years of employment.
Since the primary language of instruction is Swedish and sometimes English, you are required to have a good command of written and spoken Swedish and English.
Pursuant to Karlstad University’s Appointments Procedure, teachers must have the personal qualities required to perform all duties involved in the appointment. For other qualification requirements, please refer to Karlstad University’s Appointments Procedure.
In the assessment, special weight will be given to…
- broad and deep knowledge of Media and Communication Studies as well as documented teaching experience in the subject since you are expected to teach and supervise students in a variety of courses, from undergraduate level to master’s level.
- the ability to cooperate since a lot of the work takes place in different team constellations.
Considerable weight will be given to…
- teaching expertise and experience of educational development work.
- experience of successful applications for research funding and involvement in national and international academic networks.
Weight will also be given to…
- the ability to work independently and take initiative.
- research profiles that relate to one (or both) of the research environments of the department, Geomedia and NODE.
We also value…
- experience of organisational development and leadership.
- international experience.
- experience of course development and web-based teaching.
- experience of collaborating with the wider community.
This is a permanent full-time position starting at the earliest convenience, as agreed upon by both parties. A probationary period may be required.
The appointment is based on necessary decisions being made.
Submit the application via the University’s web-based recruitment tool, Varbi. For advice on how to draft your application, refer to “What should be included with my application?”
Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application in accordance with the advertisement, for providing translations of any documents written in a language other than Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or English, and for ensuring that the documentation allows for objective and qualitative assessments. A complete application should be submitted by the application deadline. An incomplete application may jeopardise a fair assessment of qualifications.
The application should include:
- cover letter
- an in-depth account of teaching experience
- certificate to verify completed courses in higher education pedagogy or an account of equivalent skills
- an in-depth account of research experience
- an account of other experiences of importance
- an account of managerial and administrative experience
- plans for future work
- an account of collaborations, international network experience, etc.
- a list of publications (in multi-authored publications, the role of the applicant must be specified)
- language proficiency certificates
- copy of PhD degree or documented equivalent academic expertise, or equivalent professional qualifications deemed relevant to the nature of the position and the duties included therein.
- no more than 10 scientific publications and no more than 5 materials intended to convey knowledge, such as textbooks, computer programs for teaching, or popular science articles
- two references, at least one of which is a current or former supervisor
Attach all the documents and publications you wish to be considered to the electronic application (do not just provide links). Name each uploaded document to clearly indicate its content.
Documents that cannot be submitted electronically, such as books or publications, should be sent in triplicate to the following address:
651 88 KARLSTAD
Application deadline: 31/10 2023
State the reference no: REK2023/197
We look forward to your application!
Karlstad University has chosen advertising channels for this recruitment and firmly declines any contact with advertising or recruitment agencies.Type of employment: Permanent position
Contract type: Full time
First day of employment: At the earliest convenience, as agreed by both parties.
Number of positions: 1
Full-time equivalent: 100%
County: Värmlands län
Reference number: REK2023/197
- Mats Nilsson, Prefekt, 076-1056976
- Sol Agin, Studierektor, 073-3019934
- Thomas Bragefors, SACO, 054-7001714
- Denita Gustavsson, OFR, 054-7001434
Last application date: 2023-10-31