The Department of Communication, Faculty of Humanities at the University of Copenhagen is inviting applications for a tenure track assistant professorship in digital transformation starting on June 1, 2024 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The department is seeking a new colleague with expertise in digital transformation and the impact of digitalization on organizations. The candidate should have research experience within the impact of digitization in either public or private organizational contexts.
We are especially interested in candidates who conduct research in the following areas:
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms in organizational decision-making processes
- Digital platforms and ecosystems and the transformation of organizational structures and operations
- Digitalization’s impact on business models and processes within organizations
- Ethical and social concerns in the datafication of organizational practices, such as privacy, bias, harm, fairness, transparency
The successful candidate must demonstrate a solid command of quantitative research methods, demonstrated through application in research projects or teaching activities. Further, familiarity with qualitative research methods will be considered an advantage.
Applicants shall hold a Ph.D. degree in communication research, information science, business studies, or a comparable field. The successful applicant shall have a strong record of international publications and have a research agenda of interdisciplinary work on the digital transformation of organizations.
The Department of Communication is home to approx. 80 faculty members, 35 PhD students, 20 postdocs, 30 part-time lecturers, 20 administrative staff, and 2000 students. The department annually generates approx. 30 million DKK in external research funding, and it produces research and scholarship that is world leading, and which sets the agenda for many national initiatives and conversations. The department offers seven degree programs: Philosophy, Rhetoric, Education, Film and Media Studies, Communication and IT, Information Studies, and Cognition & Communication educating successful candidates to many sectors and parts of the Danish society and beyond.
Read more about the Department of Communication at: https://comm.ku.dk
Copenhagen is a highly diverse and international Scandinavian capital with a green profile. Education is free and child-care is subsidized. Public transport is well-developed and many Copenhageners take their bikes to work. There are lots of green areas in and around Copenhagen, the water in the harbor is clean enough for swimming, and the city has multiple museums and other cultural venues. The University of Copenhagen was founded in 1479 and is the largest in Denmark.
A tenure track assistant professorship has a duration of six years. The main responsibilities consist of research, teaching, societal impact activities, departmental operations and administration. The ideal candidate must complete the university’s Teaching and Learning in Higher Education programme. The Department will appoint a mentor for the assistant professor.
At the end of the sixth year of employment, the Dean will set up an assessment committee for the purpose of evaluating the basis for a promotion to associate professor. For more information about tenure track assistant professorships at the University of Copenhagen: https://employment.ku.dk/tenure-track/tenure-track-at-ucph/
Appointment as a tenure track assistant professor assumes research qualifications at least at Ph.D. level. Candidates must be able to document competences in research as well as teaching. Candidates are expected to document scholarly research production at international level must demonstrate the potential to make a significant impact in their field at both local and international levels.
Candidates deemed within the scope of the position will then have their academic qualifications assessed by an Assessment Committee and is required to describe how their competences match the following criteria:
- Research qualifications, including the degree of originality and scope of peer-reviewed scientific production; the applicant’s research plan; participation in research environments; and scientific breadth and depth in relation to the position’s academic profile.
- Teaching qualifications, including research-based teaching experience and interest in developing their own pedagogic competencies (e.g. documented didactic training).
- Experience and competencies in the dissemination of research, external partnerships and other forms of societal impact in the form of media contributions, advice and knowledge-sharing in the public sphere.
- Experience of contributing to organisational work, collaborating with others, and generating a vibrant, inclusive, and healthy work environment.
- Experience of with applications for external research funding, and plans to apply for external funding.
For more information about the University of Copenhagen’s general criteria for the employment of assistant professors, please visit: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit/
For more information about the qualification requirements for assistant professorships, as stipulated in the Ministerial Order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities (2019), see Ministerial_Order_no._1443_of_11_December_2019_on_Job_Structure_for_Academic_Staff_at_Universities.pdf (ku.dk)
Further information about the position is available from the head of department Jens-Erik Mai, e-mail: email@example.com
Applications must be written in English and must include the following attachments:
- Application letter (max. one page)
- CV (max. three pages)
- Documentation of qualifications (exam certificates, PhD diploma, etc.)
- Publications: Applicants must submit a maximum of five publications for assessment, of which a minimum of two must have been published within the last five years prior to the deadline for applications. The selected publications must be uploaded as attachments and numbered 1–5. If any of the publications have one or more co-authors, applicants must clearly identify the part(s) for which they are responsible. The university may request statements from co-authors on the scope and nature of their contribution to the work.
- Complete publication list (attached publications must be marked with an asterisk). The list must be structured systematically and divided into the following categories:
- Peer-reviewed publications:
- Monographs and anthologies
- Articles in journals
- Book chapters/anthology contributions, etc.
- Non-peer-reviewed publications:
- Publications disseminating research findings, etc.
- Other publications
- Peer-reviewed publications:
- A research plan that includes a brief description of previous research, current research projects and upcoming research. Applicants are also asked to account for experience with organising research events (workshop, conferences, etc.) and with research collaborations, and participation in research environments both at the local and international levels (max. five pages).
- Teaching portfolio (max. five pages, documentation appendix max. 10 pages), consisting of a factual overview of teaching experience and areas of responsibility, a paper reflecting on own teaching competencies and a documentation appendix.
All applications must be submitted online, in PDF format, via the link “Apply for the position” at the bottom of the page.
Only material in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, and English will be evaluated.
The recruitment process
Once the deadline has expired, the head of department will set an appointment committee consisting of faculty members and a student representative from the department to give advice on the appointment. The applicants will be selected based on an overall assessment of their match with the department’s recruitment needs and the qualification requirements outlined above. This will be compared with the applicants’ research and teaching profile, as specified in their CV, list of publications, teaching portfolio, and research plan. All applicants will be notified as soon as possible whether they have been shortlisted for evaluation by the Assessment Committee. The selected applicants will be informed about the members of the Assessment Committee and they will be invited to comment on the committee’s assessment of their application before the appointment is announced.
For more information see: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/
Further information about the recruitment procedure is available from HR, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state case number 211-0180/23-2N #1
Remuneration and terms of employment
The appointment will be made in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). It will be possible to negotiate supplements on the basis of qualifications. For further information about the Faculty of Humanities’ starter pack for tenure track assistant professors, see: https://humanities.ku.dk/about/tenuretrack/
It is expected that non-Danish speakers, within 3-6 years, will acquire the necessary language skills to teach in Danish speaking classrooms and meetings. The department will support and help faculty members to acquire knowledge and skills in the Danish language.
We strive for a diverse and inclusive University that reflects the breadth and diversity of society and encourages everyone regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability and ethnicity to apply for the position.
The deadline for applications is 23:59 [CEST] on 22 October 2023.
Any applications or additional material submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Application deadline: 22-10-2023
Employment start: 01-06-2024
Department/Location: Institut for Kommunikation