A researcher position is available for at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies (Infomedia), Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Bergen from 1 January 2023. The position is part of the EU funded CHANSE project DIGISCREENS: Identities and Democratic Values on European Digital Screens: Distribution, Reception, and Representation. The position is for a fixed-term period of two years.
About the project/work tasks:
DIGISCREENS is a three-year international collaborative project led by Dr. Maud Ceuterick. The project focuses on five European countries: France, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Lithuania, and has the objective is to analyse how the current practices of digital distribution of films and TV series on global and national platforms (Netflix, HBO, NRK, France TV, …) intertwine with the representation and the reception of identities and democratic values.
The researcher will use film analysis and anthropological methods such as textual analysis, field work and interviews and be responsible for the research undertaken in France or in Norway (depending on the candidate’s expertise) in order to formulate answers to the project’s research questions. The successful candidate will develop a more specific research design in collaboration with DIGISCREENS’s project leader and the international collaborators of the project to analyse how the digitalisation of film and TV distribution affects the representation and reception of identities and democratic values across Europe. Research outputs should include peer-reviewed articles, conference presentations and co-organising one or more workshops and an international conference. The researcher will form a local team with the project leader and a research assistant and will join an international team consisting of 4 principal investigators and 4 postdoctoral researchers located in Norway, Spain, Sweden and Lithuania. The successful applicant will be expected to relocate to Bergen. Funding will be provided for fieldwork, research visits and conference visits. The starting date would be in or around January 2023.
Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the project proposal. A project summary is available from the project website: https://www.uib.no/en/digiscreens
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a PhD in film or media studies, digital culture, anthropology or related discipline, or have submitted their doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The candidate must have experience with researching film production or distribution, and/or with ethnographic methods or audience studies.
- Experience with streaming platforms in a Norwegian or French context is an advantage.
- The applicant must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, as well as have the ability to cooperate with others.
- The position requires proficiency in both written and oral English, and a good command of Norwegian or French.
Potential candidates may be invited to the department for an interview.
We can offer:
- An international collaboration with good networking possibilities
- A professionally challenging and diverse working environment
- Salary at pay 573 900 NOK (pay grade 62/code 1109) on the government salary scale upon appointment. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well qualified applicant.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- A position in an inclusive workplace
- Good welfare benefits.
Please apply electronically in the online system Jobbnorge via the link “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter describing your general research interests and expertise, and how these make you a good fit for the DIGISCREENS project.
- A 1-2 page project sketch describing how you would design your part of the project.
- Transcripts and diplomas or official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Publications (max 3)
- A list of publications you have published of a scientific nature (publication list)
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor from the PhD programme
The application and appendices with translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge. If the publications are in another language than English or a Scandinavian language, please provide a summary in English.
The application must be marked with Reference number: 22/12749
Application deadline: 14.10.2022.
Applications sent by e-mail will not be evaluated.