We are now seeking a University Lecturer in Technical Communication. The position is situated in the Languages Unit of the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences. The Languages Unit explores the intricacies of human interaction and communication in and across different languages. The research conducted in the unit examines the functions of language in society and the challenges of cultural and linguistic diversity. The 40 ECTS Technical Communications Programme is an elective component of the Degree Programme in Languages. It operates in close collaboration with industry players to provide students with a cutting-edge theoretical and practical understanding of the field of technical communication. The programme languages are English and Finnish. For more information, visit here.
- You will provide high-quality teaching on both theory and practice in technical communication. The language of instruction can be English or Finnish. Knowledge of Finnish is not a requirement for the position.
- You will actively conduct research in technical communication.
- You will maintain and further develop the programme’s existing network of partners in the Finnish technical communication community, with whom you will work in close collaboration to promote the programme and support the integration of our students into professional life.
- You will supervise and assess student theses on the MA and PhD level.
- You will actively follow international trends in technical communication research and participate in its development on both the national and international level.
- You will be responsible for recruiting and selecting students into the programme.
- You will also participate in other teaching in the Degree Programme in Languages, particularly in the area of professional communication.
- Ability to provide high-quality, research-based education and instruction in the field (a minimum of 10 credits in university pedagogy or other equivalent studies)
- Applicable doctoral degree and track record of independent scholarly activity
- Excellent oral and written proficiency in English or Finnish
- Good IT capabilities
- Good cooperation and interaction skills
The following will be considered advantages in the selection process:
- Relevant experience in teaching in higher education
- Teaching experience in technical communication
- Other pedagogical assets or teaching experience
- Professional experience in the field of technical communication
- Evidence of prior networking abilities and readiness to engage in and continually develop collaboration with industry partners
- Interest in closely following the technological development of the field
- A proven track record of international scholarly activity
- A proven track record of success in procuring research funding
- Willingness and ability to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Proficiency in other languages than English and Finnish
This is a permanent position that will be filled as soon as possible, and not later than 1 August 2022. Position has a 6-month probation period.
The salary will be based on the demands of the job and the employee’s personal performance, in accordance with the Finnish University Salary System. The starting salary will be in the range of €4,000 to €4,600/month.
The University of Tampere and the higher education community offer a unique multidisciplinary environment for interdisciplinary research and teaching. We offer you the opportunity to join our dynamic and innovative international community. In the Languages Unit, you will be joining an enthusiastic multilingual and multidisciplinary community of scholars. For more info, visit here.
As a member of staff at Tampere University, you will enjoy a range of competitive benefits, such as a flexible work schedules, good facilities for teleworking, versatile research infrastructure, modern teaching facilities and a safe and inviting campus area as well as a personal fund to spend on sports and cultural activities in your free time. Please read more about working at Tampere University. You can also find more information about us and working and living Tampere by watching our video: Tampere Higher Education Community – our academic playground.
Finland provides one of the most advanced and comprehensive social security systems in the world. It includes sickness benefits, various family benefits and a comprehensive healthcare system. For more information on Finland, please see InfoFinland and This is Finland.
Tampere is a unique place to live and work. It is the second largest city in Finland and boasts an active cultural life as well as a strong industrial and historical heritage. Its location between two lakes means that nature and outdoor activities are always nearby. For more information, see visittampere.fi.
How to apply
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system (link below). The closing date for applications is 10th of January 2022 (at 23:59 EET / UTC +2).
Write your application and all accompanying documents in English and attach them in PDF format. Your application should include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae according to the Finnish National Board on Research Integrity (TENK)’s guidelines
- List of publications according to the Academy of Finland guidelines
- Teaching portfolio, according to Tampere University guidelines
- A motivation letter in which you set out the reasons for why you are applying for the post and why you are particularly suited to it (max. 1–2 pages)
For more information related to the position, please contact Professor Kaisa Koskinen, tel. +358 50 3181193, email@example.com
For more information related to the recruitment process, please contact HR Specialist Katri Haapamäki, firstname.lastname@example.org