Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is currently seeking to recruit a
University Teacher in Intercultural Communication starting August 1st 2021 until further notice.
Tasks and qualifications
The position is allocated to the Department of Language and Communication Studies to the discipline of Intercultural Communication. As a field of research, Intercultural Communication examines communication in culturally diverse groups, communities and organizations. Intercultural Communication applies theoretical and empirical knowledge to answer the challenges of globalizing and multicultural societies across a variety of contexts.
The University Teacher will be a part of a team responsible for research and education in the field of Intercultural Communication. The teaching takes place in the international MA degree programme Language, Globalization and Intercultural Communication and the study module in Intercultural Communication. The contents of the teaching modules deal for example with themes related to diversity in organizational communication, migration and transition in a global world, and issues related to intergroup communication in technology-mediated contexts.
A successful candidate is expected to have earlier experience and strong teaching merits from the field of Intercultural Communication. An active research profile in the field will also be considered an asset.
The duties, qualification requirements and language skills for the position of the University Teacher are stipulated by the University of Jyväskylä Regulations and language skills guidelines. The primary language of instruction is English. A good command of Finnish is considered an asset.
What does the University of Jyväskylä offer as an employer?
At the University of Jyväskylä you are a valued member of our academic community with a unique opportunity to influence the research based education of students. You become part of our international and multi-science community where the welfare of each individual is important. At Jyväskylä we offer a great and lively campus area with opportunities to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle.
The University Teacher’s job-specific salary component is based on the job demands levels 4-5 according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. The annual salary range will be approximately 38.800 – 55.700 EUR (gross income, including holiday bonus), depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
A trial period of six months will be used when the position is first filled.
To find useful information about the University of Jyväskylä, the City of Jyväskylä and living in Finland, see the University’s International Staff Guide.
How to apply?
The application must include the following documents in English (publications need not to be translated) and the name of the applicant must be mentioned in the file name:
- A CV of the applicant, composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK);
- A brief (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s pedagogical training and teaching merits i.e. teaching portfolio;
- A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and how they relate to the field of Intercultural Communication and the focus areas of the Department of Language and Communication Studies;
- A numbered list of all scientific and other publications with which the applicant wishes to demonstrate his or her eligibility and merits for the post, according to the instructions of the Academy of Finland;
- Information on possible earlier and currently valid trial lectures.
Please submit your application at the latest on April 15, 2021 using the online application form.
For more information, please contact Associate Professor Marko Siitonen, e-mail: email@example.com, tel. +358 40 576 7861 or Professor Mika Lähteenmäki, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 40 805 3206.